Thursday, June 12, 2008

Artistry

"I would love to touch somebody through my dance, it's my art, it's my voice." -Jessica (a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance 2008)

Wow, if that doesn't just sum it up, I don't know what does. Everything I (and all artists-visual, performance, or otherwise) work for is right there in those words. In the end it's not about the accolades (although they are nice), it's about what you give. Someone who doesn't perform will never understand that ultimately you give so much more than you ever get in return. Creating a character, singing a song in just the right way, getting the paint on the canvas exactly right-this takes more than 100%. But it's worth it when you see the smiles, the tears, the nods of understanding, and the glow of enlightenment in the faces of those who hear your voice.

Some people volunteer at soup kitchens. Some teach illiterate children. Some raise money for worthy causes. I walk onto a stage and occasionally burst into song. This is what I have to offer the world. You can feed the masses, teach them, and give them money. I hope through my passion and my art to give them a reason to take it and live.

No comments: