Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Julie Andrews

I am reading Julie Andrew's memoir, "Home", which is thoroughly inspiring me to begin a disciplined approach to singing again. I was incredibly dedicated in high school and college-I didn't even sing to the radio without a proper warm up. I still have a great deal of training ingrained in my body, mind, and vocal cords, but I have definitely let many good habits slip. I must admit that I miss the daily routine of vocal warmups, tweaking songs and learning new ones. I continually tell myself that when "this" happens or "that" is taken care of I will get back into my routine. The things filed under "this" and "that" are replaced quicker than they are taken care of, and my happy little singing routine falls to the wayside.

Then today I read a passage that really spoke to me, reminded me why I worked so hard to begin with, and why, starting today, I will work twice as hard again. Julie's voice teacher (who she referred to as "Madame"-I love that!) said to her, "Julie, remember: the amateur works until he can get it right. The professional works until he cannot go wrong."

My new resolution: to be a professional, not just in singing, but in life.

No comments: